Employment Act (Amendments) Engagement Session On 17th January 2023
On 17th January 2023, the Department of Labour Peninsular Malaysia hosted a session to provide the employers an update on the key changes to the Amendments of the Employment Act 1955 that has been due for past few months.
During the session, the Department of Labour Peninsular Malaysia emphasised on the following key changes as below:
- Employment Act now covers all the private sector employees
- Maximum working hours of 45 hours per week.
- Entitlement of 98 days maternity leave.
- Separation of sick leave and hospitalisation leave.
- 7 days paternity leave.
- Director General’s approval for the payment of wages paid in legal tender and cheque.
- Calculation of wages formula for incomplete month’s work.
- Flexible working arrangement.
- Director General’s prior approval in employing foreign employee.
- Prohibition of discrimination in employment.
- Prohibition of forced labour.
- Obligation on contractors for labour to enter into written contract with the principal of the contract.
- Minimum apprenticeship period of 6 months and a maximum period of 24 months. Notice to raise awareness on sexual harassment.
For more information, please read and download the presentation from the Department of Labour Peninsular Malaysia by clicking on this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j_TlJ1z27ML3qCSoqUUgjO-x8lmQ7nBu/view?usp=sharing